Have no fear, Weekly Wins Wednesday is here! This week’s events will get you feeling ready for everything from Halloween to… Saint Patrick’s Day? Also, zombies. It’s New Orleans, y’all, just go with it!
– The 29th annual New Orleans Film Festival opens this week and kicks off with a 7:00 pm screening of Green Book starring Viggo Mortensen and Mahershala Ali at the Orpheum Theater. Follow up the screening with the Opening Night Party at The Jung on Canal Street, which will feature 60s music served up by DJ Shane Love, specialty cocktails, and even sweets by POOF Cotton Candy. The festival continues with hundreds of film screenings and events through Thursday, 10/25. Check out the website for the full schedule and tickets.
– Looking to get in the Halloween spirit? Head over to Bamboulas for a night of zombies, punk, and …even more zombies! The Halloween Punk Costume party starts at 8:00 pm and goes until 10:00 pm when Return of the Living Dead queues up on the big screen. They’re playing the undead classic on a huge screen, with a “4D poison gas attack” and zombies creeping around during the movie for added fun. Stay after for a live striptease by “Trash” and a live performance of Party Time. There will be drink specials, and free Halloween candy to sweeten the deal, and they promise it’s the good stuff!
– Bringing together the feel-good vibes of yoga with the energy of live music, this class will have you moving and grooving. The latest edition of the Church of Yoga’s Yoga & Live Music series features the Allie Porter Duo performing Florence + The Machine’s biggest hits while you’re downward dogging in an all-levels flow session.
– Kevin Hart, America’s favorite pint-sized comedian, is bringing big laughs to New Orleans for one night only. The Irresponsible Tour is stopping by Smoothie King Center and will feature Hart’s unique brand of observational and self-deprecating humor. Tickets are available online.
– Classic New Orleans eatery Brennan’s, the self-billed “Champagne House of the South,” will be celebrating International Champagne Day all day with a full schedule of activities and bubbly. Highlights include Champagne flights available during breakfast and lunch, and a courtyard Champagne tasting.
– Join hundreds of members of the Irish Channel St. Patrick’s Day Club as they parade through the streets of the French Quarter during the Half Way to St. Patrick’s Day March. It may be October, but their eyes are always green with the shamrocks of St. Paddy’s! The march begins in Jackson Square and heads through the quarter, stopping at plenty of pubs along the way, and features party floats, music, and decked-out Irishmen (make that Irish-people)!
– Bywater’s Music Box Village is more than an event venue; it’s an interactive, one-of-a-kind, artist-built sculpture experience. Friday night’s event features traditional jazz, as well as brass and Brazilian beats by NOLA homegrown favorite Tuba Skinny, and New Creations Brass Band. There will be plenty of drink specials and dancing all night.
– The second annual NOLA Mac N Cheese FEST, is a tribute to man’s greatest comfort food. Sample Mac N Cheese by dozens of local restaurants while listening to a variety of acts on the House of Blues stage. The festival is free to enter, and not to be missed!
– Die Hunde are coming! Dachshund Races at Oktoberfest, the cutest race in New Orleans, is a benefit for Animal Rescue New Orleans, and will definitely bring a smile to your face. Come for the races from 3-4pm, and stay for the rest of the Oktoberfest fun- you know, beer, sausage, music, and, oh yeah, more beer!
– New Orleans’ official Halloween parade since 2007, the Krewe of Boo parade kicks off at the edge of the Marigny, and parades down Decatur through the “Boo Carré.” The parade features detailed homemade props, sculptures, and floats, as well as incredibly costumes, and plenty of locally sourced throws. Deck yourself in your Halloween finest and head to the Quarter to see the spectacle… if you dare!
– Still in need of show-stopping number to knock ‘em dead at your next Halloween party? Head over to the New Orleans Healing Center where a full house of local designers, hatters, costumers, and mask-makers will showcase their latest and greatest one-of-a-kind pieces at the 23rd Annual Halloween Costume Boo-tique. Already have your Halloween costume ready? You can always use something for Mardi Gras…
– The Prytania Theater and the NOLA Horror Film Fest are coming together to present the cult classic, Evil Dead II. The second, and most well-loved of the three Evil Dead films; horror comedy Evil Dead II stars Bruce Campbell as the chainsaw-wielding Ash. Watch as he tries to survive a night in the woods battling zombies. It’s just gruesome and cheesy enough to get you in the Halloween spirit.
– Every Monday Voodoo Authentica offers free classes that educate about Voodoo arts and culture. This class, taught by Haitian Vodou Priest Houngan Toby, will discuss ancestor veneration and the role of the dead in our daily lives. Attend the class, and while you’re at it, pick up a few handmade voodoo items in the shop.
– Built as a church in 1914, the building that houses restaurant Vessel is the perfect place to enjoy free chamber music while finely dining. Special cocktail pairings are available for purchase to add just the right finishing touch to a classy evening.
– HIIT, or High-Intensity Interval Training, torches calories and is a great way to build strength and endurance. All you need is some water, a yoga mat or towel, and some energy. This all-levels class will get you sweating as you gaze out at the lovely City Park lagoons. You might even want to jump in afterward- but look out for alligators!
– Pull out your flannel and ripped jeans, grunge gods Alice in Chains are coming to New Orleans! One of the originating bands of the Seattle grunge scene, Alice in Chains has released six studio albums since 1987, and remain one of the most successful bands of the 1990s. Make sure you’re phone’s got the zippo lighter app- you’ll want to pull it out and wave it around when they break out classics like Heaven Beside You.
There’s our list of go-to things to do this week. What’s on yours? Let us know about all the fun you have over the next 7 days by tagging your own weekly wins on social with #FrayLife #NOLAFray.
Q: What is on your todo list for later this month?
View More Articles By Katie Baer